Gifted and Talented Students program
The range of opportunities at Callaghan College Wallsend Campus for Gifted and Talented Students
- Differentiated curriculum
- Ability grouping with differentiated curriculum in mainstream classes
- Selective testing prior to formation of extension GATS class in Year 7 and 8
- Whole school enrichment program
- Parent/mentor information evening and workshops
- Provision of distinction courses
- Career education
- Extension programs such as High achievers program
- University acceleration programs.
GATS enrichment program
The Gifted and Talented Student (GATS) enrichment program is an initiative established at Callaghan College Wallsend Campus in 2010. This program is designed to enhance student learning in their area of talent or gift. Approximately 10 – 20 students from Years 8 – 10 will be involved. Pupils will work towards an end of year goal – discussing their work in the form of a presentation at the end of year GATS showcase.
The application process is as follows:
- Students who are interested in participating in the program should see GATS Program Coordinators to collect a nomination form.
- Complete the form by detailing your project ideas, and clearly defining your project goals for the remainder of the year. Return the completed for to the GATS Coordinators
- Once all Application Forms have been submitted and processed, GATS Coordiators will interview students to determine their eligibility for the program.
High achievers program
The high performing students program gives exceptional high school students the opportunity to get a ‘taste’ of tertiary education by undertaking a first year university course, delivered by Merewether High School and organised by The University of Newcastle. Students from CCWC have been participating involved in this program since 2011.
For further information, please follow the link to the university website or contact Mr Marc Unthank, Deputy Principal.